When I visited Mexico, every table had a bowl of salsa and chips to snack on. It wasn’t the tomato-based salsa that we know in my section of the US, but invariably it was a lime juice base. After sampling quite a few bowls, I came up with this recipe.
- 1 large jalapeño pepper
- For mild salsa, remove seeds and ribs
- For spicy salsa, leave seeds and ribs in
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper (any color will do based on your preference, I like these for appearance)
- 1 tomato
- 1 onion (yellow, white or vidalia – not red)
- 1 clove garlic
- 6 stalks fresh cilantro
- 2 large limes
- Wash and dice the jalapeno and bell peppers, tomato, onion, garlic and cilantro.
- Mix all diced vegetables in a bowl
- Cut limes in half, squeeze juice and pulp into the bowl
- Stir to mix
- Let sit in the refrigerator for a few hours for everything to blend
Be sure to wash your hands well after handling the jalapeño pepper… If you get the juice in your eyes you will know why I warned you! I made this mistake once. ONCE!